Last night was the first night of the Home Organization class that I'm taking. It was really good. She began by saying that we need to get rid of 50% of everything we own. She said we don't need it, and that we won't miss it. She gave us an assignment to start with our closet. You will seperate your clothes into 3 piles.
1. Keep
2. Maybe
3. Discard Pile
You start out with a type of clothing, you count how many you have of that item and then you get rid of half.
I did this today with all my clothes-including swimsuits and it wasn't too bad. My closet actually is more functional now and I don't have all these clothes that I never wear anyways wasting space.
She said with the maybe pile put it away together somewhere, cover it up with a sheet, and if you don't use it or need it in the next 6 months you need to get rid of it. I got rid of the majority of my maybe pile just because I didn't want to deal with that.
Our other assignment was to go through our make up, shoes and underwear. She said to seperate these into 3 different piles.
1. Useful and needed (Things you will keep)
2. Useful and not needed (Things you will share-like DI)
3. Not useful and not needed. (Things you will trash)
She also said the key is to take the items right to DI or wherever you're going to donate it so that you don't go back through and try and keep things. I totally understand where she's coming on this because after I put all my clothes back I realized how much I got rid of!
She said with toys put 1/2 in a storage container and put them away for 6 months and then rotate them every 6 months.
She said if you're not using it, it's burdening you.
Anyways, I could keep going, but those were the main things. This is going to be great. I guess she will come to your home and help you organize for $35 an hour. I would LOVE to have her come over and help me!
6 comments:
I love to purge and organize! Actually, I'm borderline neurotic about it. Maybe I should go in to consulting...that sounds like fun and good money. I go through our stuff at least every 3-4 months and toss or donate - I feel refreshed after I take a load to Goodwill. I take some of my nice clothes to a consignment shop for cash, and some I take to our local women's shelter - they are so appreciative of donations. Keep posting on your classes...I'm looking for new hints and ideas!
Yay! I'm so glad you posted info and tips from your class. I'm so horrible at organization but I really want to do better. Those are some great ideas I'll have to do it except its so hard for me to get rid of clothes I probably still have clothes from junior high and high school. They dont fit but I'm determined to fit in some of them again. Anyways thanks you'll have to post tips from your next classes.
That sounds really fun! I need to get organized my house is a disaster. Now that we are done having kids I have so much baby stuff to get rid of!
Thanks for the tips. My goal is to get more organized.
I've heard those ideas before, I just need to implement them! Have fun organizing!
That is the coolest thing ever! How did you hear about the class? I could totally use that, i am such a bad organizer! You should learn everything and then do an enrichment or something on it! It sounds like something lots of people I know (including myself) need!
Post a Comment