My dear, sweet brother Dan just found out today that he has Type A diabetes. Our whole family is in a state of shock. We don't know a whole lot about it, and it is overwhelming to us. He is handling it so well though. He is down in Cedar City going to College and is all alone. I think my Mom and I are going to try and go down there tomorrow possibly.
7 comments:
hey, i'm so sorry about your brother. i good friend of ours just found out that her 2 year old has the same thing. i'm not sure if it's type a or what but they had to give him 17 shots a day. i know that kids eating to much junk or candy and soda plays a factor in making it worse or come on faster so we were scared and took our kids off of treats. i don't know how true that is but just to be safe. i'm sorry, we'll pray for him and hopefully you guys will help understand the healthy habits he needs to take on to insure a healthy life.... love ya
Everything will be A-OK - he has a great family to support him, help him learn about the disease and encourage him to make healthy choices. I know you'll be there for him - we'll be thinking of you guys!
The American Diabetes Assocation has a great website that can help you (and him) learn about diabetes and how to cope. He's in my thoughts!
http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp
I am so sorry! Let us know how we can help since we are in Cedar with him and can do anything he needs. My dad has Diabetes too so we know a little about it.
Is Type A the same a Type 1? The good news is that it's very treatable, the bad news is that he has diabetes. Wow, that was compassionate Brenda. I'm so sorry for him. I know his mom and sister will take good care of him though:)
Christine - You already know this but I am going to put it out there. Ethan has Type 1 diabetes. That is also known as Juvenile Diabetes. it accounts for 5% of the diabetics in the world. There is NOTHING you can do to keep from getting it. It has NOTHING to do with how much sugar or candy you eat. it is an autoimmune disease and it JUST HAPPENS. Ethan was diagnosed when he was 4. I am sorry to hear about Dan. Please call me so we can chat. I would love to help you or Dan through this if you need help.
Tib
I have had plenty of family members and friends that have type A diabetes. Good news is, they have come so far with medical technology that even though it is something that he will have for the rest of his life - there are plenty of devices and treatments to help him. It will become routine and he can live a long, normal life. If he ever has any questions and doesn't know anyone that has type A, let me know and I can hook him up with some friends.
Post a Comment