Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Recipie Tag

My friend Allison started a recipie "tag". Since Easton was born we have been doing My Girlfriend's Kitchen so I had to think of what I used to make. I have kind of missed cooking! This is one of our family's favorite recipies. It's from my hero Paula Deen. If you don't know who she is, she is this DARLING southern lady who cooks REAL food. She is the type of person that you want to be your mom, or your aunt. Here it is.....
Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo Cream Sauce
(this makes 12 servings, so I make a pan for us to eat for dinner that night, and then I freeze one-it's great!)
3 cups chopped chicken
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
1 (8-ounce) package monterey jack cheese, shredded
1 onion, chopped (if you know Brad, you know that I leave this one out)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
24 (6-inch) corn tortillas
Tomatillo Cream Sauce (recipe follows)
1 (8-ounce) package Colby and Monterey Jack cheese blend, shredded
Sliced green onions (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease to 13x9x2-inch baking dishes.
In a large bowl, combine chicken and next 8 ingredients. Spoon 2 tablespoons chicken mixture down center of each tortilla. Fold sides over, enclosing filling. Place filled tortillas, in a single layer, seam side down, in prepared baking dieshes.
Spoon Tomatillo Cream Sauce evenly over enchiladas.
Sprinkle with shrdded cheese. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired
Tomatillo Cream sauce
1 (28-ounce) can tomtatillos, drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
In a large skillet, combine tomatillos, broth, chilies, cumin, chili powder and salt. Brint to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
Pour mixture into container of an electric blender or food processor. Pulse mixture several times until smooth. Return mixture to skillet; stir in cream, and cook 2 minutes low.
*I couldn't find canned tomatillos so I used fresh ones.-It still turned out great. We top these off with a little sour cream and some avacados. Good luck! I hope you like this as much as we do!

2 comments:

Allie said...

Sounds like a great recipe! I'll have to try it soon. How do you like My Girlfriends kitchen? I was interested in trying it but wasn't sure if it was any good. Thanks for answering my tag!

Our Family said...

YUM! I make chicken Enchiladas that are pretty yummy and this looks like it would put those to shame! I can't wait to try these, THANKS CHRISTINE!