Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I'm Not Going To Ask You Again!

You know how when you're growing up and your parents say those really annoying things and you swear when you're a parent you're never going to say them. Well I've been saying them. I don't know what happened, but I realized the other day that I was doing it.
Carter was doing something (I don't even remember what now) and I was in the shower so I was kind of limited at the moment. I had asked him once to stop (they never listen the first time, I don't get it.) and he continued to do it, so I said "I'm not going to ask you again" in an angry tone. As soon as I said it I realized I had become my mom. (Which isn't such a horrible thing now that I'm older) But I also thought to myself, what kind of threat is that??? "I'm not going to ask you again"??? He's probably thinking in his mind "good, she'll leave me alone then because she's not going to ask again" I also find myself thinking in my head the famous phrase "If you don't stop crying, I'll really give you something to cry about!" -I really wanted to say this to Carter yesterday in Target when he was throwing a tantrum because I wouldn't let him ride the "sample" bike up and down the aisles anymore. (After that shopping trip I remembered why I started doing all of my errands while he's at school.)
So after all this I've realized I need to think about what I'm really saying to Carter and not just say dumb things in the heat of the moment.

1 comment:

tiburon said...

Don't you love how we become our parents?! I swore it would never happen - and yet, here I am.