Friday, June 20, 2008

Living In the Moment

I read this quote a long time ago and forgot all about it until I read it in a conference talk given by Elder M. Russell Ballard.

"The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."

This seriously brings tears to my eyes. I do this way too much. I have these sweet little boys for such a short time and I feel time slipping through my hands.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was one of my favorite talks. I loved it so much I listened to it several times on tivo, i'm so glad you shared it on your blog. I think it's always a regret of older people when you ask them what they would do over, they always say they'd enjoy their kids more and enjoy their blessings more. what we can learn from them :) thanks for sharing, i can't wait to fINALLY hang out with you this week :)

McMurtrey said...

Thank you for sharing this quote! It is so true. I have a hard time with this. I see dishes and then I can't think of anything else. This was such a good reminder!

Misty said...

Thanks for helping me remember this quote - it is such a great one. I really need to remember to focus on this too.